We are confident that any effort should be rewarded. Therefore, we offer you an effective technique that should increase the yield of hemp. Read more about 420 grow lights. Of course, you should never forget that the genetic predisposition of the variety you choose has a direct impact on this. Therefore, having mastered the basic skills of growing, we recommend that you move on to the basic techniques that will increase the yield of cannabis indoors.
Method 1. Increase lighting and add CO2
Light is what feeds the plants. Therefore, the number of future inflorescences will be directly proportional to the amount of light received by the hemp. It is worth thinking about additional light immediately after the first shoots appear during the growing season. The light will help develop a powerful structure and, accordingly, increase the yield of the hemp.
In insufficient light, the plants will begin to stretch out and fall on their side. As they mature, they will become fragile and very long. The latter will significantly complicate the lighting process in the future and will largely reduce the yield of hemp. Providing light to the hemp during the flowering period is one of the most important points of future success. In this case, the light distribution must be uniform. Therefore, try to train the plants so that the inflorescences are at the same level.
Training is best done during the vegetative stage. Otherwise, indoor hemp yields may decrease.
Don’t burn the plant!
Keep in mind that light can damage your flowering hemp. Therefore, protect the plant from overheating by using fans aimed at the plants or a hood installed near the lamp.
In order not to accidentally burn the hemp, use one of the following lamps:
- Fluorescent. Such lamps have a low heating level. This allows them to be placed close to plants. If ventilation is not used, the lamps can create overheating in the box.
- LED panels. These lamps should be placed at a distance of 30 cm from the crop. If you have purchased lamps with a power of 3 to 5 W, increase the distance to 45 cm.
- Metal halide and sodium gas discharge. The yield of cannabis, in this case, will depend on the size of the lamp and the sufficient distance between it and the plants. It is optimal to install such lamps 60 cm further from the bushes.
And don’t forget that indoor hemp can suffer not only from bright light, but also from overheating. Therefore, fans and hoods should not be neglected.
When to think about adding CO2
When you have reached the limit on the amount of light provided to cannabis, it’s time to start thinking about additional carbon supply. It is he who, by increasing the ability of plants to photosynthesis, will greatly increase the yield of autoflowering hemp.
However, keep in mind that without enough light, hemp will not be able to absorb a lot of light from carbon. However, fluorescent lamps or HPS lamps installed in a grow box are not suitable for this purpose.
What You Should Know About CO2
We’ve already figured out a bit about how to increase the yield of hemp. But for this it is not enough to have superficial knowledge. Therefore, let’s talk a little more about CO2:
- By itself, carbon does not affect the increase in inflorescence mass.
- Avoid being in a fully sealed and high-carbon grow box – you may not feel well. Use a respirator.
Method 2. Train cannabis for even lighting
The yield of cannabis largely depends on the uniformity of its illumination. To do this, you will have to train the plants.
We offer you several optimal, popular and non-stressful training methods for the plant:
- LST (low-stress training). The method practically does not stress the plant. Fluffy bushes are formed by folding each cola bush. This reduces the height of the plant and reduces the risk of scalding the flowers. Bending should be done at the very beginning of the growing season.
- ScrOG (screen of green). This is one of the variations of LST, which assumes, after folding, a horizontal mesh is installed over the plant. It will allow you to bend the stems of the plant more accurately and in detail, completely shining through it. The method should be used at the beginning of the growing season. This method requires your constant intervention – in order to increase the yield of hemp, you will have to constantly replace the shoots that are knocking out from under the net.
- Supercropping. With this method, you have to bend only shoots that have escaped strongly in growth. The bend should be as close as possible to the base of the branch and be flexible enough. Thanks to supercropping, you will slow down the growth of the growing bush. If you damage the top layers during the procedure, just apply a patch on them for a couple of days.
- Cropping and FIM (“Fuck, I missed!”). This is a more radical method that requires surgical intervention. Here you will have to cut off the top of the plant so that the nutrients can again flow into the center cola. The difference between the methods is in the amount of the cut stem.
Method 3. Choose the right fertilizers and do not be zealous with them
If you think of lighting for cannabis as its food, then fertilizers can be thought of as vitamins. However, it is a mistake to believe that an abundance of vitamins will contribute to the active growth of cannabis. Quite often, this misconception leads to the opposite result – a complete loss of the crop.
Cannabis is a specific plant. Accordingly, fertilizers for it must be selected with great care. Fertilizers can either increase your autoflowering cannabis yield or destroy it. Therefore, at the first appearance of strange spots on the leaves, unhealthy shine or yellowness, reconsider the “diet” of your crop – perhaps you are giving it something in excess or in deficit.
A simple life hack – use half the fertilizer as the manufacturer says on the package. This is effective with almost all plants and their species. Better yet, if you use a grow, you can make up your own soil mixtures with it and be sure that the hemp harvest will be successful.
Before harvesting (3-4 weeks), hemp leaves may turn yellow. This is not a big deal as there will be a natural decrease in minerals.
Tip 4. Remember temperature and humidity
Growing autoflowering cannabis varieties properly and productively will depend a lot on their environment. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the lamps do not burn the plant leaves. Remember that the optimal growth temperature range for cannabis is 15 to 30 ° C. Higher temperatures can kill trichomes and drain the plant.
Tip 5. Don’t be lazy to wait for the harvest
Harvesting of cannabis for some many begins as early as 2-3 weeks after planting. When a premature harvest occurs, the plants do not have time to ripen, and the inflorescences do not grow. Some species can only add a quarter of the mass in the last 2-3 before harvesting.
However, everyone knows that the sativa effect is best felt in marijuana cut as early as possible. The longer the cannabis grows, the more relaxing you will get from it. Although here, too, the yield of cannabis and the effect it has will largely depend on its variety and type.
All the above methods can increase the yield of auto-flowering cannabis. But we recommend not to forget that they are aimed only at increasing yields. In any case, the last word in this matter was and remains with the type and variety of cannabis you have chosen.